Thursday 6 September 2012

Get aboard the NBL.tv train


I haven’t been around for a while with other commitments, mainly wedding stuff, and as there hasn’t been much happening in the world of the National Basketball League I didn’t have much to say but about a week and a half ago there was some amazing news that I just couldn’t resist.  That’s right, NBL.tv.

Like many NBA fans I bought the League Pass subscription service last season and it was a blast.  Every game from every team whenever I wanted.  I could go home from work for some lunch and watch the Knicks play Sacramento or Charlotte face off against the Warriors and it was awesome.  For a basketball fan to have every single NBA game available in high definition was a dream come true and I will definitely be purchasing it again this season.

Now just imagine this service for the NBL, oh wait you don’t have to imagine because it is actually happening with NBL.tv!  As the article says on the NBL’s website “every NBL game will be broadcast live via an NBL.TV subscription service for mobile, tablets, PCs and IPTV”, which means no more waiting for One HD, no more sitting in front of a computer refreshing box scores this is truly a fantastic decision by the league.  If my memory is correct this is the first ever live online broadcasting service for sports in Australia, ever.  In before the money bag sports like the AFL and NRL as well as the A-League and the various cricket competitions. 

The only downside would be the quality of the broadcasting but it is too early to tell what kind of picture the customers will be getting from the games.  If it can delivery different levels of quality that uses different levels of bandwidth so people that don’t have massive download levels on their internet provider can still enjoy this service it’s a big tick in my book.  I just hope that there is a high definition quality so I can hook my laptop up to my television and sit back on a Friday night with a great game of basketball.

The best news is that a full season will only cost $79.  That’s right, even if you only watch your favourite team it comes out to only $2.82 per game and that doesn’t include all the other games that you will most likely watch.  The even better news is if you pre-register before September 23rd (which is two and a half weeks away) you get $20 off the price, lowering it to only $59!  What a bargain.  Please, please if you enjoy the NBL get aboard this train so the league sees that there is a demand for stuff like this and hopefully they will embrace the online section of the world.  Go to http://www.nbl.tv/earlyRegister to pre-register and get $20 off.

This post sure sounds like a massive advertisement for NBL.tv and it kind of is, I’m that excited about this idea.  If they can pull off something similar to the NBA’s League Pass I will be a very happy camper and One HD will not be seen on my TV screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment